Divorce Solutions

Question #16

My wife and I were married in 1975 in Denver. We have lived in Phoenix, Spain, Israel, Texas, Louisiana, and Utah. My wife left me in August 1996 and has since resided in upstate New York. I moved to Turkey in April 1997, where I work for an American Company. My wife has asked for a divorce because she has met a guy on the internet whom she loves. If she files for a divorce in New York, can I be served as long as I remain in Turkey? Do I have to be served? Can she get a divorce as long as I stay overseas? Can you help us? We want to make it non-adversarial if possible.

Based on the information you provided, if your spouse has been living in New York for a year or more, she may file for divorce in New York. Part of the process of filing the Summons and Complaint is to serve the defendant personally. You can be served personally in Turkey or can agree to waive service. If you both cooperate and try to mediate the divorce, you will be doing yourselves a great favor, and with the proper legal guidance can achieve the non-adversarial divorce you seek.

If your spouse is located in the New York City metropolitan area, please have her contact me at 212-370-1660 to discuss the matter further.

Good luck!

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions