Divorce Solutions

Question #17

If my spouse has filed for divorce in California, and I want to file myself, can I? Can I file in another state? 

You can counter sue for divorce as well in California, and the two suits will be heard together by the same judge. In order for a state to hear a divorce matter, it must have jurisdiction over the parties or marital property to be divided. There are specific requirements as to the length of residency of 1 or both parties, and each state is different. If you are both living in California, were married in California, have children living in California, and or have marital property in California, California would most likely be the only state that would have jurisdiction over this matter.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions