Divorce Solutions

Question #136

If someone is residing in NY and was married in NY and wants to get a divorce quickly in another state or country can they do that? There are no children in the marriage. And they have decided amicably how to divide the assets.

Each state has its own residency requirements ( e.g. in NY it is generally a minimum of one year and could be up to two years, depending on certain circumstances) before it will accept jurisdiction in a divorce matter.

I would be very wary of out of country (i.e. Mexico, Dominican Republic, etc.) quickie divorces for cheap.


Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions