Divorce Solutions

Question #98

I’m asking this for my friend. She is a legal citizen for two years. She is from Columbia married 20yrs to a man from Ecuador. 3 yrs ago, he went back to Columbia when his mother died because he was left a lot of land. According to his mother’s will, he has to stay in Ecuador. My friend feels abandoned and has asked for a divorce several times, but he refuses. I tell her because he had left her for 3 yrs she doesn’t need his permission. She has no money and is struggling since he left. Can she obtain a divorce without his consent, and is she entitled to any money from him? 

If she is a resident of NY for two years or more, she can sue for divorce without his consent-based upon the no-fault provision of the NY domestic relations law.

She will have to serve him w/ a summons and complaint.
If she is located in the NYC metro area, she should contact me to arrange for a meeting to

Discuss the matter in greater length.
Leonard Weiner, Esq
Divorce Solutions