Divorce Solutions

Question #95

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2.5 years, his ” wife ” filed, and he signed seven years ago separation papers. There have never been any problems between them. Their children are taken care of. What has to be done to finalize this? Since she filed, does she have to initiate the rest of the proceedings, or can he? She had a lawyer. 

Assuming that the Separation Agreement was correctly done, your boyfriend can file without waiting any longer.

The preparation of the Divorce Papers should be done by an experienced attorney to make sure that it is correctly prepared.

These matters are too important to leave to self-help, and mistakes may come back to haunt you many years down the road.

If you’re living in the New York City metropolitan area, I strongly suggest you call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss preparing the papers.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions