Divorce Solutions

Question #83

Hi. I’m a Portuguese citizen, and my husband is an American citizen. We have gotten married for a year and three months, but he had disappeared months ago. I tried and could not find him. My mom told me this should count as automatic annulment because we have never lived together (I was still in college with we wedded). What should I do? 

There is no such thing as “an automatic Annulment”! To get an annulment, you need to prove fraud, underage, bigamy, etc. From what you briefly indicated, you will have to file for divorce, not annulment, and in either case, you will have to locate your spouse to serve him with the Summons and Complaint.

If you are living in the NYC metro area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to arrange for a meeting to discuss the matter at greater length.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions