Divorce Solutions

Question #71

Hello, I was curious about how I should separate. I am currently in a lousy situation. I was married, in NY, at 18 without parental consent. I married a non-citizen who earned citizenship through marriage. The marriage is not working out, and I wanted to know the best way to end it. I would like to get an annulment, but can I? and also, do I need a lawyer since both of us decided to be civil and go through this peacefully ( we also have no property together or children, bank accounts, etc. ). Unfortunately, I know this will jeopardize his citizenship- is there any way to make that not happen..since we are both students. I don’t want to see him get put in a situation where he needs to flee the country since we are not legally married anymore. Please help! I know nothing about this!

The specific grounds for an annulment are somewhat different from the grounds needed for a divorce. In any case, there are records of annulments in New York, just as there are records of divorce. What is important is that you be able to separate legally and get on with your lives without having to worry that this unfortunate relationship will come back to haunt you later on in life after you have started a new family.

Use an experienced Attorney mediator and not leave this matter to self-help.
The matter of your spouse’s immigration status is more complex and will require consultation with an immigration attorney.

If you are living in the New York City metropolitan area, I strongly suggested to call me at 212-370-1660 to arrange for a meeting to discuss this matter at greater length.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./ Divorce Solutions