Divorce Solutions

Question #58

 ANNULMENT Under what circumstances, if any, may I seek an annulment in NYC if I am not a resident, but my ceremony was performed there? I have married someone who appears to have done so only for immigration purposes. What kind of “proof” need I provide for this? I can hardly say that anything is “tangible.” Also, he is currently abroad, would this void his Visa and prevent him from re-entering the US. (I would hope so because I am no longer a resource for him). Would our wedding witness, who was a relative of his, be subject to any legal action, again, I hope so. Also, are there any circumstances under which an annulment may be granted on an expedited basis. I fear further unscrupulous behavior from this man and would feel safer knowing we are not legally bound ASAP.

You or your spouse must be a resident in New York State for a minimum of 1 year for New York to have jurisdiction in your matter. Citizenship is not required, but residency is.

If you are living in the NYC metro area, please call me to arrange for an appointment to discuss the matter at greater length.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions