Divorce Solutions

Question #55

SEPARATION and DIVORCE I live in NY, and my husband and I have been living apart now for a month (we no longer want to remain married), we went to family court because we have a child. I tried to get child support and spousal maintenance, and to get the custody issue out of the way. I got the custody and spousal support, and we now share joint custody. My question is: do we still have to file anything else with the court before we can get divorced? Like a separation agreement, or does the family court decision pretty much take care of everything? I want to get a divorce as quickly as possible and be able to move to another state with my daughter.

If you have an executed court order from the judge, you can use that as the grounds for divorce, but you will have to wait a year before you can apply for your divorce. You may get divorced immediately, however, if you use other grounds.
If you are living in the New York City metropolitan area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to arrange for a meeting to discuss the matter at greater length. You do not have to wait the year. You can do get divorced right now.
Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions