Divorce Solutions

Question #42

My husband and I married in 1997. We both moved out of our marital home in May 2000. I moved into an apartment, and he subsequently moved down the hall from me-despite my feelings/reservations. Unfortunately, we didn’t know that we had to file with New York State to obtain a separation (to proceed to divorce). We both have separate apartments, but during our separation, he quit his job and had no income. I paid his bills (his mom paid his rent), and I still cover him under my insurance. (Incidentally, we have not been intimate since 1999 due to his sexual preference. He wanted to renew a male relationship because he missed that part of his life unknown to me).What is our recourse for divorce? Neither of us wants to have to go through the one-year separation period-we’ve already done this. We have both agreed that divorce is the best option, but unfortunately, neither of us has a lot of money. There are no children and property. We both have our own 401(K) plans, our own insurance (he is still covered by mine until we are legally separate). How long should it take to obtain a divorce? I would just like this nightmare over. I would sincerely appreciate your advice/help.

Although you are separated physically, legally, you are still married until you enter into a formal separation agreement. If you are located in the New York City metropolitan area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss the matter in greater length. If both of you are interested in entering into a stipulated agreement, you will not have to wait one year. The divorce can be gotten within a few months.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq. / Divorce Solutions