Divorce Solutions

Question #42

My husband has a child in Georgia. We currently live in NY. He has been paying child support for 4 yrs. now. He has just lost his job and could no longer afford to pay his child support. Do I have to pay his child support? Can I be held responsible???

You have no legal obligation or duty to support his child. He, however, does, and he cannot simply stop paying but must make a motion to the court to have his child support order reduced because of hardship. Until the order is changed, he will violate the original court-mandated obligation if he does not pay.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions