Divorce Solutions

Question #40

I have a question concerning child support. I am currently 19 years old, and I have been reviewing child support from my father (non-custodial parent). I live in New York State, and I attend college full time. I have recently moved out of my mother’s house and reside in an apartment. Because the child support is in my mother’s name, I have to drive over to her home to receive the check. I was wondering how I would go about, or if it was possible, to have the checks come to my home address and in my name. PS – if it helps, there is no dispute between my parents about child support.

If your mother is OK with the idea, she should prepare a letter to your father instructing him to send the child support payment directly to you. If both parties agree, the court will not get involved.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions