Divorce Solutions

Question #35

SERVICE OF PROCESS Can you tell me if it is possible to serve a defendant in Kazakhstan personally? A family member who is not a party to the divorce is going to meet with the husband in October. It is a little like an international spy game, the wife has only a cell phone number for the husband for the past two years, and he wires money for the support of the children but is otherwise untraceable. He cannot be lured back to NY to accept service and court previously rejected service by publication. Any ideas on how to approach this?

Prepare the summons and complaint and have the family member serve him when he is in Kazakhstan in October. Then have the family member execute an affidavit of service. It may be helpful also to have an affidavit from a witness at the time when the summons and complaint were served.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions