Divorce Solutions

Question #30

I am a female, non-custodial parent. My ex has been out of work for 1 1/2 years & recently moved home with his parents. Our son, a college freshman, recently rented his own apartment. Is there a legal way to pay my child support payments directly to my son?

Generally, the terms of the non-custodial parent’s support obligations are spelled out in the Separation Agreement and the Judgment of Divorce. If the agreement and Judgment are silent regarding such an issue, and there is a court order directing you to pay child support to your ex-spouse, to pay the funds directly to your son, you’ll have to get the court to issue a new order.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions