Divorce Solutions

Question #24

my lawyer claims my divorce papers were sent to the judge to be signed and finalized . said it would take up to 2 months to get back. He had told me many times was sent in before but lied. I think this time he is lying again; how can I check for myself to make sure it was sent in as he said? I live in new york.

It is not unusual, especially in New York County and other counties in New York City, for it to take two months for the judge to sign the judgment. You can request your attorney to provide you a copy of the receipt for the filing of the “Note of Issue.”

You may also go to the county clerk’s office in the county in which you reside, and request to see the entire matrimonial file which can be identified
by the index number usually located at the top right-hand corner of the divorce documents and notices which you have received.

At such time, you may ask the clerk of the status of the divorce and if the judge has signed the judgment.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions