Divorce Solutions

Question #234

 My soon to be ex-wife and I moved to New York 7 months ago for the greater good of our two-year-old, and right before we left, she asked me for a divorce. She filed first having a divorce lawyer as a family friend in California. What state has jurisdiction? I have to respond to the filing in 10 days. Do I have to respond at the California courthouse, or can I mail them in now that I live in NY? Mediation is done through the telephone in California. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I order for New York to have jurisdiction you must be living in NYS for 1 or 2 years depending on Specific circumstances. It appears from your description of the situation that CA has jurisdiction.

You must respond to the Summons and Complaint.

I strongly suggest that you speak to your wife about mediating rather than litigating the divorce, which can be conducted here in my office in NYC.

Please call me to discuss the matter in greater length.

Leonard Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions