Divorce Solutions

Question #232

I am writing this on behalf of my daughter. We live overseas. Our daughter is in an H1B visa, staying iN.Y.NY from June 2013. She said she married one guy who is on a student visa just two weeks ago (November 06, 2015) without our (parents) knowledge. She was in love with the guy for many years, but our parents did not approve of it due to religious grounds. She was complaining about depression from a few months. She might have married the guy during depression or by some pressure, or the guy is a fraud as we are wealthy. Two days after the marriage, she called us & told me that she urgently got married because she thought we would take her back from the United States as we were supposed to arrive in NY in November. We planned this trip in early September with the consent of our daughter to stay with her for two weeks. Surprisingly, she made a hasty decision. In this case, is there any way our daughter can get annulment or divorce immediately? We are trying to find out why & what exactly made She made such a hasty decision. If it is because of depression, is the marriage valid? We were told she was not taking any medication for depression, but she used to call depression hotline. What sort of documented evidence is required to prove she signed a marriage license during the depression? Or the guy is a fraud, may be interested in our property or using our daughter’s H1B visa to get shelter after his studies, etc. If she is willing to accept that she made a hasty decision without clearly thinking about the future consequences, in what ground can we help to get divorce or annulment? How long would it take? How much would it cost?
We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Under the relatively new “ No-Fault” law in NY, after six months, your daughter can apply for divorce.

Without having to claim any type of fault, but just to state that the marriage has broken down irretrievably for at least six months.

Please get in touch with me when you arrive in NY to discuss the matter further.

Leonard Weiner, Esq.
Divorce Solutions