Divorce Solutions

Question #227

I married a Brazilian man in NYC (town hall) on July 10, 1994. We resided in Manhattan until May 1995, after which we moved to Brazil with our newborn son. My ex is a prosecutor in Brazil, and our marriage was legally recognized there, and I became a legal resident. I obtained work as a translator. In 2003 my husband and I divorced amicably, and I remained in the country until 2009. I returned to NYC in July 2009, where I lived until June 2010, when I moved to NJ, where I currently live with my son and new fiancée. My question is: I plan on remarrying this year. I understand that there is an agreement between Brazil and the US wherein one country recognizes the marriages and divorces conducted in the other, and it’s simply a matter of filing the requisite paperwork. Is this true? Do you handle this type of situation? What is your fee schedule for this type of situation?
I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Since you have been living in NJ for over two years, you should file your divorce in NJ, not NY.

Divorce Solutions
Leonard M. Weiner, Esq.