Divorce Solutions

Question #210

I am married for five years in NY with no children but suffer from chronic illness, making me unable to work. I don’t know my rights and need to get out of this marriage. What am I legally able to demand? Alimony/maintenance? Healthcare? I am too sick to stay in this and too sick to leave. Thank you.

If you are unable to work, your spouse will be responsible for your support. He will also be responsible for your health care needs, and any other needs he has been providing during your five-year marriage. The amount of such support and the duration of such assistance will depend on additional information not contained in your question.
If you do not have the funds to pay for your attorney, the court will require your spouse to pay for your attorney as well.

If you are living in the New York City metropolitan area, I strongly suggest that you call me at 212-370-1660 to arrange for a meeting to discuss the matter at greater length.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions