Divorce Solutions

Question #19

I am married with children and living in New York State. Can my wife take my children out of state and not tell me where they are? Is she allowed to take them on trips if I am not comfortable with the destination and do not want them to go? I have been told that I have no rights in this matter. Is there a resource that can tell me what my rights as a father are? Thank you.

You have a right to prevent your wife from taking the children out of the
Court’s jurisdiction, especially if you are concerned about her not bringing them back
Or you are legitimately concerned about their welfare and safety in a foreign country.

You can make a motion to the court to prevent the removal of the children from the State
And can demand that you be informed in advance of any plans to move or temporarily relocate the children.

However, rather than litigating this matter in court, I strongly suggest you consider mediating this issue.

If you are located in the NYC metro area, please call me to arrange for an appointment to discuss this matter at greater length.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions