Divorce Solutions

Question #18

My husband and I were married in Massachusetts. He is from Virginia, and I am from Massachusetts. We have a four-year-old and four months old. I am a stay at home mother, and he travels approx 75% of the year and is hardly ever home. He has become emotionally abusive, and I am planning to get a divorce. We have been in NY for almost two years, and we own a home here- under my husband only. I would like to move ASAP back to MA. To go back to work as a single mother of 2, I need the help of family (we have no family in NY). Is this possible? What would I need to do?

If you were to go to court, it would review the existing relationship that your spouse has with the children and whether a move to MA would impair that relationship. The best interests of the children will be the determinative factor.
I suggest you try mediating this matter with your spouse and try resolving the issue out of court.

If you are living in the NYC Metro area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss mediation.

Leonard Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions