Divorce Solutions

Question #184

What can I do if I live in Florida and I want a divorce but was married in New York over 20 years ago and haven’t been together in over 20 years and don’t know where he is.

Since you no longer live in New York, unless your spouse still lives in NY, you would not file in NY even though you were married in NY.

You can file for divorce in FL, but you must try to locate your spouse to serve him with a Summons and Complaint.

You will have to make a showing to the court that you sincerely tried to find him, through relatives, friends, etc. and were unable.

The court will then direct you to either publish a notice in a local newspaper where your spouse was last known to live or some other
Instructions, as the court may see fit.

Leonard Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions