Question #19: I am an American citizen married in Australia to an Australian citizen. Now that I am back in Florida, can I file for divorce here or do I have to go through the Australian courts?

In order to answer your question properly I would have to know where the marital assets are located, if there are any children and where they are residing, how long you are living in the state of Florida, etc. Assuming that you have met the Florida state jurisdiction requirements, you should be able to file in Florida but if the marital assets are located in Australia, you will have to have the Florida decision recognized by the Australian courts in order to have them divide the marital assets accordingly and if the law of division of marital assets in Australia is radically different from that in Florida, the likelihood of Australian courts enforcing such a Florida decision would be small.
Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions