Question #112: Sir – I have a v quick question – if its one that warrants payment first, please let me know… My spouse lives in NY, I live in LA….we have been legally separated for just over a year….we would both like to file an uncontested divorce in NY….he is happy for me to act as the paintiff and have him served…however, do I have to be physically present at the NY court to file these papers? Or can I mail them in or alternative…..? I already paid the $210 in filing the separation and obtaining an index nunber which is why I am reluctant to pay another filing fee in LA… Anyway – a million thank yous and prayers if this is somethig you might be able to answer!

You do not have to be physically present in NY to file the papers but you should not be relying on “self help” to prepare and file your divorce.
There are many issues and legal concerns that must be addressed in the process which require experienced legal counsel and, if not clearly discussed and resolved before the papers are filed, will come back to haunt you later in life.

I strongly urge you to give me a call at 212-370-1660 to discuss arranging for a meeting to discuss these matters at greater length.

Leonard Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions