Question #106: I got married in the Philippines 2004 and went back to Ireland and got seperated in 2-3mos just right after the marriage. I wasnt able to file a divorce/annulment due to some financial reasons. My question is, can i file for a divorce here in CA. though i am just on a visitor’s visa? I am about re-marry soon with my fiancee who is an American Citizen. Please enlighten me. I will greatly appreciate, Many thank’s

Every state has a residency requirement before it will entertain a divorce proceeding. You must be a resident of the state inwhich you are filing. Where are you living presently and how long have you lived there? Where are you permanently residing? Where is your legal domicile?

These are all questions that must be answered before a determination can be made where the proper jurisdiction is for you to file for your divorce.

If you living in the New York City metropolitan area , please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss the matter at greater length.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./DivorceSolutions