Question #59: My wife and I plan to separate after a 3 year marriage. What are the procedures and do we have to acquire the services of a private professional mediator? We do not have any children or any assets to speak of. What is the least expensive and quickest way to do this? Also, I was told that you have to be legally separated for a year before moving on to a divorce. Is that true?

I strongly recommend that you seek out an experienced, attorney-mediator in your

area to mediate your divorce and prepare the Separation Agreement and Divorce Papers.

The matters are too serious to do by yourselves and you want to be sure that you

have finality so you can get on with your individual lives.

You do not have to be legally separated for a year to get a divorce in NY. There are other


If you are located in the NYC area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to

discuss mediation further.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq.\Divorce Solutions