Question #38: I have been separated from my husband for over a year. He is suing me now for child custody, alimony and wants overnight visitation rights. How can I get full custody and not give him overnight visitation rights as he is an alcoholic, drug addict, has dwi over 4 years ago. I live in NJ. My child is only 20 months old. Please advise. Thank You

I can not over emphasized the benefits of resolving separation and divorce matters between spouses through the assistance of an attorney-mediator especially trained in divorce mediation. Try to convince your spouse to mediate your separation and divorce, including all of the issues you mention above.If he is unwilling to mediate this matter, you will have no choice but to hire an attorney licensed in New Jersey to represent you in court. The judge will consider all of the information which your attorney will present in court regarding your husband’s drinking problems and the impact it will have on the child. All of these allegations will have to be substantiated in court. The process is financially draining, emotionally upsetting, and may take years to resolve. Therefore, if there is any chance to mediate this matter, I strongly urge you to discuss this with your spouse, and then call me at 212-370-1660.