Divorce Solutions

Question #63

I have been married for four years in New York. Two months ago my husband left me he is now living with his parents. I am curious about how you go about filing for a legal separation and then a Divorce. Also, I have student loans that were acquired before the marriage is he responsible for those payments? We also have a car loan and several credit cards that are primarily in my name with him as a cosigner. We have called the credit card companies to see if we can change the bill to his name, and they will not do it. He has tried to get a loan in his name to consolidate these bills, but they will not give it to him because of bad credit. What can I do so that I am not left with all of the debt? Also, if I were to find out that he was with another woman that is adultery, and how is that different from abandonment?

Any debts you incurred before the marriage are your individual debts; thus, the student loans are your personal liability. If you are located in the NYC metropolitan area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss mediating your divorce. The issues you raise regarding outstanding debts and grounds for divorce can be resolved in mediation.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions