Divorce Solutions

Question #53

My husband has a piece of real estate, which I have asked them to deed over to me to secure the payment of any settlement arrangement, but he has refused. What can I do?

You do not need your husband to deed the property to you to secure payment. You have asked them to transfer the property to you when you need a security interest in the property, not ownership of the property. You should have requested from him a first mortgage on the property as security for the payment of the settlement arrangement. From the type of question you are asking, it seems that you have not begun an adversarial court process yet. I believe that mediation could be beneficial in your situation, and I strongly recommend that you contact an attorney-mediator in your area.