Divorce Solutions

Question #313

I live on long island, NY. I’ve been currently married for almost two years, and we have been talking about getting a divorce. We have a beautiful one-year-old baby boy. I am the only one that works; we rent an apartment/ shared with my mother. She does not work and does not have legal papers(undocumented). If we start the divorce, would I have to give half of my income to her? I don’t mind providing child support, but besides that, is she entitled to anything else? I am 22 at this moment, and my wife is 26.

You would have to provide her with some form of Spousal support at least for a short period until she can get a job. The amount of Child support will depend on how much you earn. The exact amount of Spousal Support will depend on your present marital lifestyle, how much you earn, what it will cost for her to rent an apartment with the child, etc. If you go to court, the final amount will be decided by a judge.

You can avoid going to court by both agreeing to mediate the divorce with me in which case you will
Be able to decide with your wife all of the issues.

Please call me at 212-370-1660 to arrange for a meeting to discuss the matter At greater length,

Leonard Weiner, Esq.
Divorce Solutions