Divorce Solutions

Question #31

My fiancée wants a divorce from his wife. There are a few difficulties. We are in Alaska, and she is in Colorado. We need to find someone who can help us, but who will not charge an outrageous amount of money. We would like someone who will take a lump sum down and then accept monthly payments. He is in the military if that makes any difference. We need this done quickly.

Before you discuss the costs, you must first determine which state will have jurisdiction over the divorce proceedings. Each state has its particular jurisdictional criteria, but it is essential to determine where and how long your “fiancée” was married? Are there any children from that marriage? Where did he reside with his wife during their marriage and for all long? Where does his wife presently live, and for how long is she living there? Where does your “fiancée” currently live, and for how long has he been living there?

The answers to these questions will provide us with the information necessary to determine which state has jurisdiction over his divorce. Once that is determined, he should contact legal counsel available to him through his military service to provide legal advice and counsel regarding how to proceed with this matter. You should be concerned more with getting professional, experienced legal counsel who can properly advise you as to the best way to proceed and not worry about the cost of such advice at this time. If he can avail himself of military counsel services, he should receive such help at little if any cost.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions