Divorce Solutions

Question #31

I have been divorced since 1991. My ex-husband was cheating and wanted a divorce. However, I agreed to take the blame on the divorce decree as the one who abandoned, not knowing at the time the consequences. My daughter is now 17, and he is trying to convince her to move in with him so he won’t have to pay child support. My current salary will not suffice for me to survive. I am currently trying to finish my education and become self-sufficient. However, I owe money from not having sufficient income, even with child support. He is an airline pilot making at least $200,000. /yr. Is there anything I can do? Also, in my divorce decree, it states that the order is subject to change as deemed by the supreme court. Please notify me as to what I may be able to do.

The key to your problem lies with your daughter. At age 17, the court will give significant weight to the testimony of your daughter and will listen carefully to your daughter and will ask her where she prefers to reside and what is motivating her to change residences. You need to convince your daughter that her best interest lies with her remaining living with you.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions