Divorce Solutions

Question #189

 I was told that you answer questions about divorce. I would very much like your help. I was married in NY. State in May of 1998. We all still live there. The marriage produced two children. I have walked out on him due to an online extra-marital with a woman. We have gone to family court, and we both have joint legal custody of the children. I have asked for a divorce, but he has refused. I do not wish to change the custody arrangements. However, my question is: how may I secure a divorce as soon as possible? I was told by a friend it was possible to go to Reno, Nevada, and receive one immediately without his signature. Is that doable? If not, how else can I obtain one asap? Thank you.

No need to go to Nevada anymore! Under the new law in NYS that went into effect in October 2010, if you have been separated for more than six months and there is no prospect of the marriage reconciling, you can file for divorce w/o having to assert fault on the part of either party. If all of the financial and custody matters have already been settled, you should be granted a divorce.
You still have to file a summons and complaint and all the other divorce documents as before.

If you are living in the NYC metro area, please call me to arrange for an appointment to discuss the matter in greater length.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions