Divorce Solutions

Question #171

My boyfriend has lived apart from his wife for over 6 years. They have a child together. He does not see his child nor even know where his spouse lives. When they were together, they were married and lived in NYS. He still resides in NY and believes she does as well. How can he get a divorce from her? And what about visitation for the child?

Because he lives in New York State for a number of years, New York will have jurisdiction over this matter. In order to get the divorce, however, he will have to serve his spouse with a summons and complaint and therefore will have to make a serious attempt to try to locate her either through friends or relatives that he may still be in contact with.

Because he has a child with her, he will have to provide some form of child support and is entitled to visitation, and that can be worked out between the parties.

If he is living in the New York City metropolitan area, I strongly suggest he call me at 212-370-1660 to arrange for a meeting to discuss mediating his divorce.

I can help. Have him give me a call.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq. /Divorce Solutions