Divorce Solutions

Question #166

My wife and I have been separated for the last year and six months, and we have an eight-year-old son that we share taking care of him. My wife has moved into her apartment while I’m still in the house. I guess my question is, I would like to retain the house, or if I decided to sell it, can I get a little more scene I been paying all the bills for the last 18 months and if there anything I can do to keep the house because we were not married when we first move in the house and she still has the maiden name on the deed.

To correctly answer your question, I would have to review your Separation Agreement and the judgment of divorce, and any other court orders that may have been issued. You may be entitled to the house. If you are living in the New York City metropolitan area, I strongly suggest that you mediate this matter along with your legal separation and divorce. Please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss the issue at greater length.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions