Divorce Solutions

Question #155

My sister and her husband of 1.2 years were having some problems, so she asked him to move out. It’s been about three months, and she has no idea where he’s living or any other contact information (except email, which he ignores). He’s an airline steward, so it is difficult to reach via work. Can she file for separation without his signature or knowing his whereabouts? Would filing a missing persons report help at all? 

To file for separation or divorce, she is going to have to serve her spouse with a summons and complaint. Therefore she will have to locate him. She should try to find some of his relatives or friends and see if they know where he is.
If she is living in the New York City metropolitan area, please have her call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss mediating her divorce.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq. /Divorce Solutions