Divorce Solutions

Question #113

Here is my problem. I was married to my husband for ten years. Last March, he started an affair. I found out about it in May, and he moved out on me and our two children in June .we are not legally separated yet, but he is now living with his girlfriend. I do not want to go through the legal separation. I just want the divorce, so I can move on with my life and start dating. What can I do and how much will the divorce cost? I do not have a lot of money at all as he left me with all the bills and the house and kids.we have child support set up with no child support. Thank you.

Unfortunately, these matters must be appropriately handled by an experienced matrimonial attorney to make sure that the problems do not come back to haunt you later on in life. The separation agreement is the first part of the process. It spells out all of the understandings between the parties such as, who is going to be responsible for the support of the children, who is going to be the resident parent, how much spousal support will be provided, how will the marital debts be paid off, who will cover the cost of the mortgage or the rent on the family house, etc. Also, numerous documents have to be prepared to file for the divorce.

If your spouse is cooperating in the process, it will take much less time and cost much less money. My fee is $500 per hour. The total cost is a function of how my hours it takes us to go through all the issues as described above and to reach some kind of understanding between the parties regarding these matters.

If you are living in the New York City metropolitan area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss the matter.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions