Divorce Solutions

Question #110

I am a Filipina who was a petition (k1visa) by my boyfriend, who is a US citizen and lived in Colorado. We got married in Colorado, and we were transferred to England for my husband’s job. We’re only married for eight months, and I already experienced abuse, not physically but mentally. He never gives me money or whatever except for food. He never has time for me because he is so busy with his job, and because of that also his not active in bed. (i feel like I’m just a keeper here) Every time we argue, he always says that he wants to divorce me, and that makes me scared because I don’t have family here in England and no job (they only accept NATO and u.s citizen) no money to support myself. My question is if I agree to divorce him, will I get monetary support from him. Until now, he is paying more than 60% of his salary to alimony for his ex-wife). What is my chance of getting an immigrant visa? I never had the opportunity to apply for AOS when we were in the US? Honestly, I’m afraid to go back to the Phils because some people there are very judgemental. It will give me more pain to go back. Since I am married to a US citizen, do I need to file for an annulment in Philadelphia.? Honestly, I never had a chance to think of this before I get married because I thought I was marrying a good man; he is a chaplain and a marriage counselor. Thank you so much, and God Bless!!!

You should insist on getting divorced in the US, in Colorado, where you
permanently reside as husband and wife, and you should get an experienced attorney-mediator in your county in Colorado to help you. Once you get the divorce in Colorado, you will not need another for the Philippines.

Do not do this on your own. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court will make your
husband pay for your attorney.

The attorney will also advise you where to go to get legal advice regarding your immigration status.

Good Luck!

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions