Divorce Solutions

Question #103

I dissolved my divorce in the United States, but my ex is in a foreign country. My question is if this divorce is valid in that country or I may have to request a new divorce there. Please, I am concerned I might have problems there. Please let me know. Thank you.

To answer your question, I would have to see precisely what you are referring to as “dissolved ” you divorce. In which state in the US did you receive the divorce? Do you have a judgment of the divorce signed by a judge, and was it filed in the proper place? You also do not indicate what country you were speaking about when you referred to whether it will accept a “US” divorce. Generally, most jurisdictions recognize legal divorce decrees if they are correctly prepared & they do not violate any of the laws of the country in which you are asking to have them enforced.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions