Question #74: I am in the middle of divorce proceedings. Frankly, I think it was bad advice on my attorney’s part. This has dragged out almost a year. A Temp. Court Order was issued in Jan ’07. Am I able to stop these divorce proceedings (yes, I started them) and convert our Temporary Court Order into a Legal Separation agreement? My main problem: I am disabled and am fearful if we are divorced, I may not even qualify for my own healthcare. I am currently under his HMO from his job. Thank you.

You can stop the proceedings at any time by formally withdrawing your complaint .

You can then enter into a Separation Agreement with your spouse.

If you are living in the NYC metro area, I strongly suggest you call me at 212-370-1660 to
discuss mediating this matter rather than litigating it in Court. This is too important a matter to leave to self help.
It must be done with experienced legal counsel.

It will be cheaper, quicker, and less traumatic.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions