Question #230: I’m an Italian citizen that got married in 2009 in New York with an American citizen fron NY. So then I got the greencard and we lived together in US for less then two years as residence. Then we moved out the Country (US) and since August 2010 We are been living in Italy for 5 years. So We are both resident in Italy, and my wife has the permanent residence permit for Italy as well (equivalent to the American green card) we are now discussing divorce, and asking us where having to file for divorce and under what law, if in New York law where we original got married six years ago, or we have to do it under Italian law? Thank you.

Since you both have been living in Italy for the past 5 years, you would file for divorce in Italy,
Regardless of the fact that you were married in NY.

Good Luck!

Leonard Weiner, Esq.
Divorce Solutions