Question #18: My husband and I were married in Massachusetts. He is from Virginia and I am from Massachusetts. We have a 4 year old and 4 month old. I am a stay at home mother and he travels approx 75% of the year and is hardly ever home. He has become emotionally abusive and I am planning to get a divorce. We have been in NY almost 2 years and we own a home here- under my husband only. I would like to move ASAP back to MA. In order to go back to work as a single mother of 2 I need the help of family (we have no family in NY). Is this possible? What would I need to do?

If you were to go to Court it would review the present relationship that your spouse has with the children and whether that relationship would be impaired by a move to MA. The best interests of the children will be the determinative factor.
I suggest you try mediating this matter with your spouse and try resolving the issue out of court.
If you are living in the NYC Metro area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss mediation.

Leonard Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions