Question #18: My husband and I just separated and we have 19 year old son. we are still great friends and we are making it as easy as possible. should we file for a legal separation?

It is essential that you file for a legal separation, otherwise you

will continue to have all of the same responsibilities and obligations

of a married couple. It is also important to spell out in writing,

exactly who shall have custody, who shall be the resident parent of the child,

child support, spousal support, separation of marital assets, etc. Today you are still friendly and on talking terms; tomorrow the situation may be different.
If you are living in the New York City metropolitan area, I strongly urge to the call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss mediating your separation and drafting the necessary papers.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions