Divorce Solutions

Jun 24, 2020

Question #32

I have joint custody of my son with his father. In the agreement, we alternate who claims the child on taxes. Last year, we agreed to split time 50/50, and it is in writing in a “Memorandum of Understanding.” I have counted the nights that our son stayed at my house, and I had him more than his father. Plus, this is the tax season that I can claim him. My question is, do I need it in writing in our joint agreement to claim Head of Household for having more nights? Or can I claim head of household since I get to claim the boy? I don’t know how all this works.

Continue Reading...