Question #66: I’m married 12 years and want out due to the fact my husband and I want completely different things in life. I pay 95% of the household expenses and he doesn’t want to contribute 5%. Everything he does and every dollar he spends must be for his personal benefit. I simply refuse to live like this anymore. Please advise what my first step is in getting this marriage disolved. I live in New York.

You do not mention whether you have any children as a result of this marriage. If you do, you owe it to your children to seek help, perhaps through a marriage counselor, to see if you can reconstruct the marriage again. Assuming that you have done so, or you do not believe that such counseling will help, I cannot overemphasize the benefits of mediating the divorce as opposed to litigating it. You’ll save time, money, and aggravation by doing so. If you’re located in the New York City metropolitan area, please call me at 212-370-1660 to discuss the matter and to arrange an appointment.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions