Question #42: My husband has a child in Georgia. We currently live in NY. He has been paying child support for 4 yrs now. He has just lost his job and could no longer afford to pay his child support. Do I have to pay his child support? Can I be held responsible???

You have no legal obligation or duty to support his child. He, however, does and he cannot simply stop paying but must make a motion to the court to have his child support order reduced because of hardship. Until such order is changed, he will be in violation of the original order if he does not pay.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions