Question #22: I live in PA with my wife of 12 years and our 10 year old daughter. I came to US 7 years ago, brought them on my work visa 6 years ago. My employer offered to sponsor my permanent residency. My wife is a very difficult person and has been in therapy for the last 3 years. It’s becoming unbearable for me and I want out: the little she does for family is under pressure from me, and I have to juggle work (she finished her RN a year ago, but doesn’t have work permit) and practically all family issues,, from my daughter’s Halloween costume to finding my wife a gynecologist. Who would have jurisdiction over this divorce, given that we’re not permanent residents?

Since you have been living in Pennsylvania for seven years and your wife has been there for six years, Pennsylvania should have jurisdiction over your divorce proceedings. Most states do not require citizenship or permanent residency to have jurisdiction over divorce matters, as long as you satisfy the residency requirements of the state which is determined by time living in the state. With regard to the specific Pennsylvania state residency requirements, it would be best for two consult with an experienced attorney-mediator in Pennsylvania who can provide you with detailed counsel.
Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions