Question #114: Married and both living in NY My wife and I have been living apart since November 1999. We were married 9 years and no children. All property and assets have been split and we have no children. What can I do if she refuses to sign a separation or divorce agreement even if I am willing to sign that I am at fault in one of the grounds for divorce in New-York. Since the separation in 1999 we both acquired property (home) seperately. Thank You for your help.

Living apart is not considered “separated” under the law. As far as the law is concerned , you arestill married , and all the property you acquired during the course of this time is considered marital property and each one has an interest in the other’s property until you are legally separated and/or divorced.

You can file for divorce without your wife’s consent, but you must have some grounds which are recognized in the State of New York.
If you are living in the New York City metropolitan area, I strongly suggest that you call me to arrange for a meeting for all of us to meet together to try to mediate you a separation and divorce so that you will both be able to get on with your lives without having interference and financial consequences coming from the other party. It is essential that you do this with an experienced attorney mediator and not leave this to self help.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions