Primarily servicing the greater New York City metropolitan area

206 East 38th Street
New York, N.Y. 10016
(212) 370-1660


Question #39:
I'm hoping you can help me! How do I go about finding if a divorce has been filed. My fiance has been away from his wife for 8 yrs. I have done searches for her with married name, but she comes back with pre-married name. She has deed with another male and children associated with her. We want to get married and don't know where to start finding if she divorced him. Can you please help guide me? Thank you for your assistance.


Your “fiancé” should have been served with a Summons and Complaint if a divorce proceeding was commenced.
In any event, try checking under the wife’s Maiden name in the county in which she is now living.
Also, check under your “fiancé”s name as well.
Please be aware that if there was no divorce, your “fiancé” will be committing bigamy if he marries you.
That means your marriage would not be valid and it is grounds for an annulment.

Good Luck!

Leonard Weiner, Esq./Divorce Solutions
Back to content