Primarily servicing the greater New York City metropolitan area

206 East 38th Street
New York, N.Y. 10016
(212) 370-1660


Question #71:
I was curious about how I should separate. I currently am in a lousy situation. I was married, in NY, at 18 without parental consent. I married a non-citizen, who earned citizenship through marriage. The marriage is not working out and I wanted to know the best way to end it. I would like to get an annulment, but can I? and also do I need a lawyer...since both of us decided to be civil and go through this peacefully ( we also have no property together or children, bank accounts, etc. ) Unfortunately I know this will jepordize his citizenship- is there anyway to make that not happen..since we are both students, and I dont want to see him get put in a situation where he needs to flee the country since we are not legally married anymore.

Please help! I know nothing about this!


In order to get an annulment in New York the specific grounds are somewhat different from the grounds needed for a divorce. In any case, there are records of annulments in New York , just as there are records of divorce. What is important is that you be able to separate legally and get on with your lives without having to worry that this unfortunate relationship will come back to haunt you later on in life after you have started a new family life. In order to that, you should use an experienced Attorney mediator and not leave this matter to self-help.
The matter of your spouses immigration status is more complex, and will require the consultation with an immigration attorney.

If you are living in the New York City metropolitan area, I strongly suggested to call me at 212-370-1660 to arrange for a meeting to discuss this matter at greater length.

Leonard M. Weiner, Esq./ Divorce Solutions
Back to content